Labels

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Juveniles and Incarceration

According to PNLA Quarterly on any given day more than 100,000 teens are incarcerated in the US,   In 2004, on a typical day,  more than 7,000 under 18 years were incarcerated as adults.  The DOJ statistics project that by 2020, the juvenile population will increase by 36%.

85% of incarcerated juveniles are functionally illiterate.  60% of incarcerated adults are functionally illiterate. There is a direct link with illiteracy, poverty, and incarceration.

Recidivism rate for those who receive an education while in prison is 16%
The Recidivism rate for those who return to society without participating in literacy programs while in prison is 70%

2 comments:

max said...

Struggling - Reluctant readers in prisons .

I grew up hating to read.

Today I write action-adventures & mysteries for others who may be experiencing the same difficulties. Though my target audience is readers 8 - 13, especially boys, my books are enjoyed just as much by adults.

The type is larger, I use lots of dialog and humor, sentences are shorter, and there are few large blocks of words.

More information is available at Books for Boys Blog http://booksandboys.blogspot.com

If you have questions, please let me know, but I would also encourage you to let others know about these books. They really work with reluctant readers.

Thank you,

Max Elliot Anderson

Glennor said...

Thanks for responding Max. I will post it to the librarians across the state and the prison librarian group across the country. Glennor